I had thought long and hard about some poetically written blog to share my experience of Saturday night in Portugal. Then I decided I couldn’t be arsed. I’ve just changed my mind again.
Basically, I was booked for this gig over 4 months ago by my friend/agent who had specific instructions, 12 months ago, to NEVER put me into any more events that were even SLIGHTLY commercial. He then got me a gig over there in a small club and it was PROPER deep.. it restored my faith in the scene.
Not long after that gig, he gave me another date for another club. This was months ago.
Alarm bells started ringing last week when I asked for links to flyers, website or Facebook event to promote on my wall. There were non. Always a bad sign ! I was then told, on Friday when I received my itinerary, to “play a bit more commercial”. I had 3 options…
- Cancel the gig. I didn’t feel comfortable with that, I don’t like letting people down. This decision had NOTHING to do with the fee.
- Load up my wallet with a bunch of music I detest in order to get a job done. Considering my recent blogs I think you know that wasn’t ever an option.
- Turn up and play music I want to play, regardless of the consequences.
Now… watch the video !!
For the back story on my love affair with Portugal.. you REALLY have to read this blog from the same time last year, it ALL makes sense then.
The moral of the story…
- I’ll never take another booking from that guy.
- I hope the video makes someone feel better when they have a shit gig
- Jesus Loves Me !
Next up… Vocal Booth Weekender. That might be a little better !
By the way, I took this whole experience on the chin, played for an hour, packed my CDs away and went to have a drink with my driver and another friend in his lovely new bar. I wasn’t upset by the gig in the slightest because I knew exactly how it was going to go down !